Saturday, January 5, 2008

Goodnight My Kiddo

I just tucked my boy into bed after our nightly prayers and our chapter from the first book of the Chronicles of Narnia. I can't tell you what an amazing blessing it is to love that child. He is a light. We had a wonderful day together, just he and I and some of his new friends. We went to a fun filled place called Allstar Sports Adventures and he and his new friend Zach rode the go carts in the cold and we all played tons of arcade games till we could hardly stand it any longer and cashed in all our tickets for useless junk that makes us all smile. Not all days as a parent are perfect but today sure did come close.

For those of you who waited through many trials to become parents, you know what it means to look into the face of that dream come true and feel a love that doesn't exist outside of parenting. You know it more sweetly than most others who can often seem to take their children for granted. Nathan and I sure did not have the multitude of struggles that others have had but I do know some of what it means to wait, and to want a child so badly and not be in the right position at the right time. I never thought I would become a parent in the way that we have but I wouldn't change a single thing about our path. If one moment were different, I wouldn't be Thomas' mother.

I'm deliriously tired from a long day of boys and video games but I just had to come and post about how amazingly blessed I am to have just tucked in my very own kiddo, to have given him his goodnight hug and have him hold me just a little bit longer, to see his droopy eyelids close over his beautifully perfect sky blue eyes after a day of unadulterated kid fun, and to know that there will never be a day for the rest of time, that I am not his mother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so so happy for you and Nathan! I know you will be wonderful parents and Thomas is so lucky to have found you. I couldn't wish you more happiness!

Dave and Rae said...

Your encouragement to waiting parents is fantastic.

As a fellow adoptive parent, I thought to write and tell you about the new guest home in Ethiopia specifically for adoptive parents and volunteer groups for the benefit of orphans in Ethiopia. Now that it is up and running, we would love to share the vision with other adoptive parents. You can see more at http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com.

If you would like to post a link, send me an email at dave@ethiopiaguesthome.com and I’ll forward you the information.

Blessings,

Dave McIlrath, MA
Orphan Advocate
Ethiopia Guest Home
More Than a Place to Stay
www.ethiopiaguesthome.com
As a fellow adoptive parent, I thought to write and tell you about the new guest home in Ethiopia specifically for adoptive parents and volunteer groups for the benefit of orphans in Ethiopia. Now that it is up and running, we would love to share the vision with other adoptive parents. You can see more at http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com.

If you would like to post a link, send me an email at dave@ethiopiaguesthome.com and I’ll forward you the information.

Blessings,

Dave McIlrath, MA
Orphan Advocate
Ethiopia Guest Home
More Than a Place to Stay
www.ethiopiaguesthome.com

isabelle said...

I think its fantastic that you are fostering an older kid, most people would shy away from it.
Isnt it great being a Mum!
Good luck for the future.